If there is wood or vinyl exterior trim surrounding your windows and doors, it can begin to wear, warp and decompose over time. Trim in bad shape makes your house look older and can enable water to get beneath the surface and cause further harm. While bad weather and other elements will surely cause damage, you can receive maintenance or completely replace trim so your exterior looks more attractive. The contractors at Handyman Connection serves the Stephenson, VA area with interior and exterior trim options such as hardwood floor trim installation, window trim repair, crown molding installation services and exterior door trim installation. Call us today to get a free estimate for your home in Stephenson, VA.
How Do I Know My Trim Needs Replacement?
A visual inspection is usually enough to get a general idea of the condition of the trim inside or outside of your home. Simply walk around the inside or outside of your home and look for cracks, holes, breaks or decaying wood. This can help you determine whether your home needs simple repairs or new trim installation. Doors and windows are common spots for damage, as well as crown molding and exterior home trim.
Types of Exterior Trim
- Wood: Wood is the most common material for external trim. It’s offered in either whole boards or finger-jointed sections. Finger-jointed wood trim is simply shorter wood pieces that lock together. Wood trim is easy to install and takes paint well.
- Plastic: Plastic trim comes in two forms, polyurethane and polyvinyl chloride (PVC). Polyutherane is somewhat more expensive, but slightly denser and prepared to paint once sanded.
- Fiber-cement: This is a combination of cement, sand and wood-fiber fortification. It’s durable, fire retardant and immune to water and insects. Most fiber-cement trim is moisture resistant, which means paint will last for years to come.
- Laminated veneer lumber: Layers of wood veneer in a parallel granule and two veneer cross bands are sheltered by an average density overlay to create this material.
- Hardboard: This trim is formed from hardwood chips that are warmed with steam and water and then pressed into board stock. During this process, lignin found in wood will become present again and work as paste to hold the board together. This makes the hardboard more resistant to decomposition than wood.
Call Us Today from Stephenson, VA
Need exterior trim replacement or installation services? Call Handyman Connection for a free estimate on your home trim repairs in Stephenson, VA. Having new exterior trim not only creates a good-looking exterior for a home, it also provides waterproofing at corners and surrounding doors and windows. There are so many options for trim replacement and now is the time to replace your decrepit, decaying exterior trim. Call us today for a free estimate!