If there is wood or vinyl exterior trim surrounding your windows and doors, it can wear, warp and rot over time. Worn down trim ages a house prematurely and allows water, pests and other destructive elements inside. While broken trim or crown molding can cause damage, you can receive maintenance or completely replace trim so your exterior looks more attractive. Call Handyman Connection for external trim maintenance and replacement for your home in Mount Jackson, VA.
Does My Exterior Trim Need to be Replaced?
The best way to check for trim issues is with a visual inspection of your house. If you notice cracks, holes, damaged, wobbly or rotting wood, you should contact Handyman Connection of Winchester for service in Mount Jackson. We’ll then figure out whether your trim can be repaired or needs to be fully replaced. If wood isn’t decaying, extremely deformed or majorly broken, a handyman can make a few expedited fixes to restore trim to ideal shape.
Choices for Exterior Trim
- Wood: Wood is the most common substance for external trim. Wood is offered in either whole boards or finger-jointed sections. Finger-jointed wood trim is just shorter wood pieces that fasten together. Wood trim is easy to install and holds paint well.
- Plastic: Plastic trim comes in two forms, polyurethane and polyvinyl chloride (PVC). Polyutherane is somewhat pricier, but slightly denser and ready to paint. However, PVC needs to be sanded before it can be painted.
- Fiber-cement: This is a combination of cement, sand and wood-fiber support. It’s resilient, fire resistant and immune to water and bugs. Fiber-cement trim is typically moisture repellent, which means paint will look good for years to come.
- Laminated veneer lumber: Layers of wood veneer in a parallel grain and two veneer cross bands are sheltered by a medium thickness coating to engineer this material.
- Hardboard: Hardboard external trim is engineered from hardwood chips that are warmed with steam and water and then pressed into board stock. During this process, lignin found in wood will become present again and work as adhesive to keep the board from separating. The adhesive makes the hardboard more resistant to rot than wood.
Call Us Today from Mount Jackson, VA
Need exterior trim replacement services? Call Handyman Connection of Winchester for a complimentary quote. New trim not only makes your home’s exterior more attractive, it also provides waterproofing at corners and around doors and windows. There are so many options for trim replacement and there is no time like the present to replace your decrepit, worn out exterior trim.