When people in the Victoria area are close to their golden years, they might be looking for retirement remodels so they can continue living in their house. You can have children or grandchildren stay for visits and celebrations and keep the furniture, routines and decorations you have grown to love. While you may be healthy well into the future, aging-in-place renovations can simplify the change of life that occurs in your golden years.
Handyman Connection of Victoria contractors can perform an array of aging-in-place service projects. When implemented correctly, these renovations make maintenance easier. They can make your house better to get around in for wheelchairs and other mobility aids such as scooters and walkers. This remodeling can also make support for seniors easier, so you can better care for your partner or spouse and keep them at home longer.
Whether you need minor remodel jobs for aging-in-place or want a complete remodel, get in touch with the Handyman Connection technicians in Victoria, BC. We are pleased to answer all your questions or plan for a free consultation.
Structural Remodels for Senior Care
- Widening halls and doorways to make them easier for wheelchairs to go through can be necessary for aging-in-place remodels.
- Adding electric chair lifts for stairs or elevators can make it possible to stay in your own home for many years.
- Single story living is a must for many seniors. We can help you fix up your house to age in place in comfort without having to navigate stairs.
Remodeling Outdoors for Aging-in-Place
- Brick or siding repairs can end the work of ladders and painting.
- Deck repairs can keep you safe, and remodeling such as adding ramps and widening access can make your outdoor space easier to navigate.
- Landscaping upgrades such as plants that are easy to maintain reduce the need for gardening, weeding and watering.
Upgrade the Bathroom for Retirement
Upgrading and expanding tiny bathrooms can help you live at your residence during retirement by:
- Adding bracing in the shower
- Replacing faucet handles
- Increasing space to turn around in
- Installing a fold-down seat in the shower stall
- Adding lights in the shower stall for better visibility
- Installing bracing around the tub and toilet to prevent dangerous falls
- Raising toilet seats
- Separate apartments for caregivers
Small Things Make a Difference in Age in Place Remodels
- Installation of non-slip hard floors and replacing of impractical rugs with new carpet of 1.5-inch pile can make wheelchair access simple.
- Simple upgrades like doorknob replacement with levers and easier-to-operate windows, thermostats moved to easier-to-reach places, light switches near doors, and installation of
emergency 911 buttons can make aging-in-place independently more convenient.
Doors and Ramps for Aging-in-Place
- Installation of non-slip flooring can improve everyday welfare.
- Additional lighting, raised and expanded doorways and additional garage space make living at home in retirement easier.
- Wheelchair ramps to front doors, back doors and in garages can make coming and going less stressful for retirees.
Updating a bedroom for yourself so your family can be with you while you age in place can be the best option. Ask about remodeling just one bathroom or the addition of an electric chair lift to make this possible.
Call the aging-in-place remodeling contractors at Handyman Connection in Victoria, BC, to learn more and plan for a safe, rewarding retirement in your own home.