When people on Vancouver Island are close to retirement, they might want retirement remodels so they can live in the comfort of their property for years. You can have family and friends stay for visits and get-togethers and hold on to the furniture and decor you have grown to love. While you may be healthy for a long time to come, aging-in-place contractors can simplify the change of life that occurs in your golden years.
In Saanich, BC, Handyman Connection contractors can assist with many aging-in-place remodeling jobs. When completed properly, these installations make caring for your property simpler. They can make your space easier to navigate while using wheelchairs and other mobility aids such as scooters and walkers. These upgrades can also make supporting aging relatives simpler, so you can better care for your parent or elderly relative and keep them with you longer.
Whether you need smaller scale upgrades and repairs for aging-in-place or need a complete remodel, contact the Handyman Connection contractors in Saanich, BC. We can answer all your questions or set up an appointment for a free first visit.
Structural Remodels for Aging-in-Place
- Widening hallways and entryways to make them wheelchair accessible for seniors can be necessary for aging-in-place renovations.
- Installation of chair lifts or installation of elevators can make living at home a real possibility.
- Single story living is a must for today’s senior citizens. We can help fix up your place to age in place peacefully without having to use the stairways.
Remodeling Outdoors for Aging-in-Place
- Siding upgrades can end the hassle of painting, climbing ladders and more.
- Deck repairs can improve safety, and deck remodeling such as new ramps and widening access can make it easier to get around.
- Landscaping upgrades such as planting shrubbery and plants that are easy to preserve can reduce the need for yard work and water.
Bathroom Upgrades for Retired Life
Renovating small bathrooms can help you live at home during retirement by:
- Installing grab bars
- Replacing faucet handles
- Adding space to turn around in
- Adding a bench in the shower stall
- Adding lights in the shower stall for better visibility
- Installing bracing around the tub and toilet to prevent dangerous falls
- Raising toilets
- Separate apartments for caregivers
The Little Stuff Matters in Age in Place Remodels
- Installation of non-slip hard floors and replacing impractical rugs with new carpet of less than 1.5-inch pile can make wheelchair accessibility simple.
- Small upgrades like doorknob replacement with levers and easy open windows and blinds, thermostats moved lower on the wall, light switches near doors, and installation of emergency 911 switches can make aging-in-place independently more convenient.
Entryway Remodels for Seniors
- Installation of non-slip flooring can improve everyday mobility.
- Additional lighting, flat doorways and additional garage space make living at home in retirement easier.
- Wheelchair ramps to exterior doors and in garages can make coming and going less stressful when aging-in-place.
Remodeling to age in place in Saanich, BC, can also include making additions to create space for domestic help, including the construction of a new apartment or upgrades to a bedroom and bathroom and addition of a new, smaller kitchen.
Contact the retirement remodeling contractors at Handyman Connection of Victoria to get your questions answered and prepare for a safe, rewarding retirement in your own home.