When residents of Guelph, ON are coming up on their golden years, they might want wheelchair accessibility and other renovations so they can remain in the comfort of their property well into the future. Aging-in-place renovations from Handyman Connection is an excellent way to ensure your property will serve for years to come. These home improvements allow you to have children or grandchildren stay for visits while you retain the furniture and decor familiar to you. While you may be healthy for many years, aging-in-place services can ease the change of life that occurs in your golden years.
Handyman Connection of Kitchener performs an array of aging-in-place remodeling projects. If completed properly, these remodels make your home easier to keep up. They can make your house better to navigate for wheelchairs, scooters and walkers too. These upgrades can, in addition, make supporting aging relatives simpler, so you can care better for your parent or elderly relative and keep them with you longer.
Whether you need smaller scale remodel jobs to stay in your home or a complete remodel, get in touch with the Handyman Connection technicians in Guelph. We can answer all your questions or set up an evaluation appointment for a no-cost estimate.
Structural Remodels for Aging-in-Place
- Expanding narrow hallways and entryways to make them easier for wheelchairs to go through can be necessary for aging-in-place renovations.
- Adding chair lifts for stairs or elevators can make living at home a real possibility.
- One-floor homes are a must for today’s retirees. We can help fix up your home to age in place comfortably without having to walk up and down stairways.
Remodeling Outside for Aging-in-Place
- Brick or siding replacement and upgrades can end the work of painting, climbing ladders and more.
- Deck repairs can keep you and your visitors safe, and remodeling such as adding ramps and wider access can make your outdoor space easier to navigate.
- Landscaping upgrades such as plants that are easier to maintain can reduce the need for yard work and water.
Upgrade the Bathroom for Senior Life
Remodeling small bathrooms can help you age in place by:
- Adding bracing in the shower
- Replacing faucets so you don’t have to twist your wrists
- Increasing space to turn around in
- Installing a fold-down seat in the shower
- Adding lights in the shower stall for better visibility
- Installing bracing around the tub and toilet to prevent slips and falls
- Raising toilet seats
- Separate spaces for caregivers
Accessory Details to Make Life at Home Better
- Installation of non-slip tiles and replacing of impractical carpet with new carpet of less than 1.5-inch pile can make wheelchair access simple.
- Small upgrades like new levers instead of knobs and easy-to-operate windows, thermostats moved to easier to reach places, light switches near entryways, and installation of security systems can make retiring at home more convenient.
Entryway Remodeling for Seniors
- Flooring that isn’t slippery can keep you safe.
- Added automatic lighting, flattened doorways and additional garage space make senior life easier.
- Wheelchair accessibility ramps to front doors, back doors and in garages can make coming and going less stressful for retirees.
Adapting a bedroom for you to stay in so your family can be with you while you live in retirement can be the best option. Ask about changes to a single bathroom or installation of an electric chair lift to make this possible.
Call the retirement remodeling experts at Handyman Connection for the Guelph, ON area, to learn more and plan for a safe, rewarding retirement at home.