If there is wood or vinyl exterior trim around your windows and doors, it can begin to wear, bend out of shape and decompose over time. Trim in bad shape does not only look ugly, but it can enable water to get underneath and cause further damage. While bad weather and other elements will inescapably take their toll, you can receive maintenance or completely replace the trim, so your exterior looks more appealing. Contact Handyman Connection of Edmonton for trim repair and replacement in your Stony Plain, AB home.
Signs You Need Trim Replacement
As you stroll around your house, inspect for any cracks, holes, broken, loose, or decaying wood. This will help you decide whether you can repair the wood, if you need to replace individual sections or need to replace all the trim around the home’s doors and windows. If wood isn’t deteriorating, significantly misshapen or majorly damaged, a handyman can make a few quick repairs to restore trim to perfect form.
Exterior Trim Options
- Wood: Wood is the most common substance for exterior trim. It’s available in either solid boards or finger-jointed sections. Finger-jointed wood trim is just shorter wood pieces that lock together.
- Plastic: There are two main types of plastic trim, polyurethane and polyvinyl chloride (PVC). Polyurethane is somewhat pricier, but more dense and ready to paint. PVC must be sanded before it can be painted. It’s easy to install wood trim and accepts paint well.
- Fiber-cement: This is a combination of cement, sand and wood-fiber support. It’s tough, fire resistant and immune to water and bugs. Fiber-cement trim is typically moisture repellent, which means paint will last for years to come.
- Laminated veneer lumber: Wood veneer layers come in a parallel grain and two veneer cross bands are covered by an average thickness coating to engineer this material.
- Hardboard: This trim is made from hardwood chips that are warmed with steam and water and then pushed into board stock. During this process, lignin that is part of wood, will start to run again and work as paste to hold the board together. This makes the hardboard more resistant to decomposition than wood.
Call Us Today
If you want the exterior trim of your home replaced, call Handyman Connection of Edmonton for a complimentary quote. Having new exterior trim not only creates an attractive exterior for a home, it also provides waterproof protection at corners and surrounding doors and windows. With more resources to use than ever before, now is the time to replace your old, worn out trim. Call us today at 780-414-6152 for a free estimate.