When people live in the Edmonton, AB, area and are close to the end of their careers, they might want wheelchair accessibility and other remodels so they can continue living in their house for years. This lets you have family and friends stay for visits and keep the furniture and decor you have grown to love. While you and your spouse or partner may be healthy for a long time to come, aging-in-place services can simplify the change of life that occurs in your golden years.
Handyman Connection professionals can assist with an array of aging-in-place renovation jobs. When completed properly, these renovations make maintenance easier. They can make your home better to get around in while using wheelchairs and other mobility aids such as walkers and electric scooters. These upgrades can, in addition, make support for seniors simpler, so you can care better for your husband or wife and keep them at home longer.
Whether you need minor remodel jobs to stay in your house or a complete accessibility remodel, contact the Handyman Connection specialists in Edmonton, AB. We can answer all your questions or plan for a free estimate.
Floor Plans for Senior Care Remodeling
- Building wider halls and doorways to make them wheelchair accessible for seniors can be necessary for aging-in-place services
- Installation of electric chair lifts or installation of elevators can make living at home a real possibility
- One-floor living is a must for many retirees. We can help fix up your place to age in place comfortably without having to navigate stairs
Exterior Upgrades for Retirement
- Siding replacement and upgrades can save you the work of painting, climbing ladders and more
- Deck repairs can keep you safe, and deck remodeling such as adding ramps and wider access can make it easier to get around
- Landscaping changes such as plants that are easier to maintain cut down on the need for yard work and water
Remodel the Bathroom for Retirement
These aging-in-place bathroom renovations can help you greatly during retirement at home:
- Adding bracing in the shower
- Replacing faucets so you don’t have to twist your wrists
- Adding space to turn around in
- Installing a fold-down bench in the shower for safety
- Adding lights in the shower stall for better visibility
- Installing grab bars around the toilet and bath to prevent dangerous falls
- Raising toilet seats
- Separate spaces for caregivers
Accessory Details to Make Life at Home Better
- Installing non-slip hard floors and replacing impractical rugs with new carpet of less than 1.5-inch pile can make wheelchair accessibility simple
- Minor changes like new levers instead of knobs and easy open windows and blinds, thermostats moved to easier-to-reach places, light switches near entryways, and installation of security systems can make aging-in-place more convenient
Entryway Remodels for Seniors
- Flooring that isn’t slippery can keep you safe
- Motion lighting, flat thresholds and additional garage space make senior life easier
- Wheelchair ramps to front doors, back doors and in garages can make coming and going less stressful when aging-in-place
Adapting just one area of your home for you to stay in so your family can be with you while you age-in-place can be the best option. Ask about remodeling a single bathroom or the addition of an electric chair lift to make this possible.
Call the aging-in-place renovation technicians at Handyman Connection in Edmonton, AB, to get your questions answered and plan for a safe, rewarding retirement at home.