Are you looking to update that old, funky tile in your bathroom, but don’t have the budget for a complete remodel? Consider painting your tile! While this project will add little value to your home’s bottom line, it will add create feelings when you walk into your bathroom and don’t have to see that old, outdated tile color any longer. Here’s some “do’s and don’ts” on painting tile, from the experts at Handyman Connection of Ann Arbor.
- Buy a prepackaged tub and tile kit. Both Rust-Oleum and Homax sell kits that include epoxies designed to work for the job, a complete list of necessary tools and supplies, and step-by-step instructions that you should follow to the letter.
- Sand like a maniac. With a home epoxy kit, your job is only as good as the time you spend cleaning and sanding, because a rough surface is your primary source of adhesion. The better your prep, the less likely you’ll have to redo it in a few years.
- Wear a respirator mask and use a fan. Epoxy is harmful to breathe.
- Use a spray gun. Brushing and rolling can work, but a spray gun gives the best finish.
- Use regular spray paint or water-based paint of any kind. It will turn out badly.
- Take a long, hot bath — at least not for a while. Epoxies need to cure. Give your refinishing kit more than enough time to do so for the best results.
If painting and refinishing your funky bathroom tile seems a little scary, call on the experts at Handyman Connection of Ann Arbor and let us handle it for you! Contact us today for a free, no-obligation project estimate!